Lindores

This interesting surname is a slightly Anglicized (Middle English) form of the Scando-German pre 10th Century "Linde", a topographical name for one who lived by a conspicuous lime tree or thicket, or who came from one of the several places so named, especially in Northern Germany. In the very early days, "Linde" was also a personal name meaning "shield" or "spear", both being manufactured from the lime wood, and this will also be the derivative of some of the nameholders. There are several forms, including Linden, Lindl, Lindholm and Lindro(os), the latter being the origination of the modern spelling. The name in England may be of Flemish weaver origin, or associated with civil engineering, or the jewellery trade, all three providing immigrants in the 17th Century. The examples of the name recordings from London include: Eleanor Lindors, who married Alexander Aitken at St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster, on December 1st 1762, and Alexander Lindores, a christening witness at St. Mary-Le-Bone, on January 14th 1787, in the reign of George 111 (1760 - 1820). The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Hannah Lindos, which was dated October 27th 1689, marriage to Henry Pichett, at St. James' Churck, Duke's Place, London, during the reign of King William 111 of Orange and England, 1689 - 1702. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Surnames reference. 2013.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Lindores — is a small village in Fife, Scotland, about 2 miles south east of Newburgh. It is situated on the north east shore of Lindores Loch, a 44 ha freshwater loch. A possible derivation of the name Lindores is church by the water . The ruins of Abdie… …   Wikipedia

  • Lindores —    LINDORES, a village, in the parish of Abdie, district of Cupar, county of Fife, 2½ miles (E. S. E.) from Newburgh; containing 95 inhabitants. This place, which is of great antiquity, most probably arose under the protection of the Macduffs,… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Lindores Abbey — was a Tironensian abbey on the outskirts of Newburgh in Fife, Scotland. Now a much reduced and overgrown ruin, it lies on the southern banks of the River Tay, about convert|1|mi|km|sing=on north of the village of Lindores. The abbey was founded… …   Wikipedia

  • Lindores, Benedictine Abbey of — • On the River Tay, near Newburgh, Fifeshire, Scotland, founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon, younger brother of King William the Lion, about 1191 Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006 …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Benedictine Abbey of Lindores —     Benedictine Abbey of Lindores     † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Benedictine Abbey of Lindores     On the River Tay, near Newburgh, Fifeshire, Scotland, founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon, younger brother of King William the Lion, about 1191.… …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Lord Lindores — The title of Lord Lindores was a Lordship of Parliament in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created on 31 March 1600 for Patrick Leslie. Since the death of the eighth lord in 1813, the lordship has remained unclaimed, i.e. it has been dormant… …   Wikipedia

  • Abbot of Lindores — The Abbot of Lindores (later Commendator of Lindores) was the head of the Tironensian monastic community and lands of Lindores Abbey, Fife (the nearby town of Newburgh was created by and belonged to the abbey). The position was created when the… …   Wikipedia

  • lindore — {{hw}}{{lindore}}{{/hw}}s. m. Caratteristica di ciò che è lindo | Pulizia …   Enciclopedia di italiano

  • Abdie —    ABDIE, a parish, in the district of Cupar, county of Fife, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Newburgh; including the villages of Lindores and Grange of Lindores, and the suburb of Mount Pleasant; and containing 1508 inhabitants. This place formed part… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Newburgh —    1) NEWBURGH, a village and sea port, in the parish of Foveran, district of Ellon, county of Aberdeen, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Ellon; containing 393 inhabitants. This is a small but flourishing place, situated on the bank of the river Ythan …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.