Recorded in a number of spellings including Trowel, Trowell, Trowl, Trowle, Trowill, Trouel, and probably others, this is an English surname. It is not occupational and has nothing to do with the use of building or gardening implements. In fact it is locational from either a village called Trowell, near the city of Nottingham, or Trowle, a hamlet in the parish of Great Bradford, in the county of Wiltshire. In both cases the meaning of the name would seem to be the same. This is from the pre 7th century Olde English words "treow" meaning a tree, and "halh" a place. Whilst it appears to mean the place of the trees, although this is possible, it is more likely that it is used in a transferred sense to describe a bridge or road made of tree trunks. We do know that road making using trees and branches locked together was practised quite widely in ancient times, particularly when crossing marshes and other undrained areas. Locational surnames are also "from" names. That is to say names given to people after they left their original village to move somewhere else. Spelling being at best primitive, soon lead to the development of "sounds like" forms. The first recording is believed to be from the county of Lincolnshire when Richard de Trawell appears in the Hundred Rolls of that region, whilst Batin de Trowell is recorded a year later but in Wiltshire. Antony Trowill is recorded in the a surviving early register for the diocese of Greater London, when he was a witness on July 17th 1636, at St Dunstans in the East, Stepney.

Surnames reference. 2013.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Trowel — Trow el, n. [OE. truel, OF. truele, F. truelle, LL. truella, L. trulla, dim. of trua a ladle; probably akin to Gr. ? a stirrer, ladle, G. quirl a stirrer, MHG. twirel, OHG. dwiril, Icel. [thorn]vara, AS. [thorn]wiril. Cf. {Twirl}.] 1. A mason s… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • trowel — [trou′əl] n. [ME truel < MFr truelle < LL truella for L trulla, small ladle, scoop, trowel < trua, stirring spoon, ladle, prob. < IE base * twer , to stir > TURBID] any of several small hand tools for spreading, smoothing, scooping …   English World dictionary

  • trowel — ► NOUN 1) a small hand held tool with a curved scoop for lifting plants or earth. 2) a small hand held tool with a flat, pointed blade, used to apply and spread mortar or plaster. ► VERB (trowelled, trowelling; US troweled, troweling) ▪ apply or… …   English terms dictionary

  • trowel — mid 14c., tool for spreading plaster or mortar, from O.Fr. truele (13c.), from L.L. truella small ladle, dipper (mid 12c.), dim. of L. trua a stirring spoon, ladle, skimmer. The gardening tool was so called since 1796 …   Etymology dictionary

  • Trowel — A trowel is one of several similar hand tools used for digging, smoothing, or otherwise moving around small amounts of viscous or particulate material.Hand toolsIn gardening, a trowel is a tool with a pointed, scoop shaped metal blade and a… …   Wikipedia

  • trowel — 1. noun a) A mason’s tool, used in spreading and dressing mortar, and breaking bricks to shape them. I need to dig a hole for these begonias; would you pass me that trowel? b) A gardener’s tool, shaped like a …   Wiktionary

  • trowel — n. a bricklayer s; gardener s; plasterer s trowel * * * [ traʊəl] gardener s plasterer s trowel a bricklayer s …   Combinatory dictionary

  • trowel — trow|el [ˈtrauəl] n [Date: 1300 1400; : Old French; Origin: truelle, from Late Latin truella, from Latin trua large deep spoon ] 1.) a garden tool like a very small ↑spade 2.) a small tool with a flat blade, used for spreading ↑cement on bricks… …   Dictionary of contemporary English

  • trowel — [[t]tra͟ʊəl[/t]] trowels 1) N COUNT A trowel is a small garden tool which you use for digging small holes or removing weeds. 2) N COUNT A trowel is a small tool with a flat blade that you use for spreading things such as cement and plaster onto… …   English dictionary

  • trowel — UK [ˈtraʊəl] / US noun [countable] Word forms trowel : singular trowel plural trowels 1) a small tool with a curved blade that is used in gardens for digging small holes or digging plants out of the ground 2) a small tool with a flat blade used… …   English dictionary

  • trowel — I. noun Etymology: Middle English truel, from Anglo French, from Late Latin truella, from Latin trulla ladle Date: 13th century any of various hand tools used to apply, spread, shape, or smooth loose or plastic material; also a scoop shaped or… …   New Collegiate Dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.