- Recorded in the spellings of Dallison and Dalliston, this unusual and interesting name is of pre 10th century Old French origin. Introduced into England by the Normans after the Conquest of 1066, the surname is locational, from a place called "Alencon" in the Orne region of North West France. To this has been added the fused preposition "de". The surname from this source is distinguished by being first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 (see below), and further early recordings include: Alexander Dalencun and William Dalizun in circa 1250, Norfolk, and Nicholas Dalasson (1378) in the Calendar of Letter Books of the City of London. London Church Records list the marriages of William Dallyson to Elizabeth Allyn, on August 19th 1544, at Christ Church, Greyfriars, Newgate, and Thomas Dallison to Mary Maywell, on January 18th 1649, at St. Margaret's, Westminster. A Coat of Arms granted to the family is silver, on a blue pile engrailed, three silver crescents. The Crest is the gold sun, rising from clouds proper. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Bernard de Alecon, which was dated 1086, in the Domesday Book of Suffolk, during the reign of King William 1, known as "The Conqueror", 1066 - 1087. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
Surnames reference. 2013.